How To Do A Festive Red Lip
No smudging, no bleeding, just the perfect shouty red pout. Gorgeous!
There’s nothing quite like red lippy to complete an outfit and glam up your look.
Reckon you can’t wear it? Think again. Whether you think your lips are too small, you’re afraid of the punchy colour or you simply don’t know how to apply it, make-up artist Clare Hogan says creating the perfect red lip “is just a matter of finding the right shade to suit your colouring and having a little confidence.”
Want to create a gorge-o festive lip look that’ll last through all the Christmas party nibbles and cocktails? Clare shares her tips.
1. “Start with a red lip liner as close to the shade of lipstick you’re going to wear and make sure it’s sharpened as this will help you get a clean line,” Clare instructs.
2. To draw your line “start at your cupid’s bow and the bottom of your lower lip and draw outwards trying to keep both sides as symmetrical as possible,” says Clare. “Even if your lips aren’t even on both sides, use the lip pencil to create the effect.”
3. Next, “fill in your lips with the pencil then go over it with your lipstick,” Clare instructs. “You can either use it straight from the bullet or if you have quite narrow lips and want more precision use a brush.” We like the L29 Lip Brush from Blank Canvas.
4. Once you’ve applied, blot your lips with a piece of tissue pressing the lipstick into your lips slightly. “This will press the colour on and stain the lips a little more,” Clare explains.
5. Now it’s time for another coat of lippy. A hot tip from Clare? “Don’t be afraid to try two or even more different shades to add a little depth to the look. You could even add in some orange or pink to make it more you.”
6. Got uneven edges or bleeding? “Use a small lip or concealer brush with a little of your concealer to tidy up the lip line and give it that professional finish,” Clare recommends.
7.“Finally, depending on whether you prefer a matte or a gloss finish you can add a coat of lipgloss on top for some extra shine and pout,” she suggests.
Clare’s fave-o red lippies
“There are so many gorgeous red shades out there but a few of my favourites would be MAC Red, Ruby Woo or Russian Red, Chanel Rouge Allure in Passion or Kate Moss for Rimmell #1. L’Oreal also have a full range of reds to suit everyone.”
Have your say