7 Ways To Celebrate The Chinese New Year In Dublin Over The Next Fortnight

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 17.51.47

Happy Year of the Rooster!

January 28th marks the start of the Chinese New Year, and there’s a whole heap of celebratory events on around Dublin over the next two weeks as part of the Dublin Chinese New Year Festival.

From cooking masterclasses to comedy shows, here are a few things we’ll be checking out…

Night out fodder

Nialler 9 DJ Set

hang dai
Hang Dai, Camden St
Friday January 27th, 10.30pm – late
Free entry
Ring in the Chinese New Year with a few vinyl tunes at Dublin’s newest – and coolest – Chinese restaurant. The sound system in this place is perfect for an underground all-night dance party, so leave your heels at home and opt for sneaks instead.

Louise Reay: It’s Only Words

International Bar, Wicklow St
Friday February 3rd, 7pm (doors 6.30pm)
Despite our vast and varied vocabularies, just 7% of human communication is verbal. In her new comedy show, Louise Reay experiments with the remaining 93%. It’s a comedy show in Chinese… for people who don’t speak Chinese. Confused? You’ll have to head along to find out more.

Bring your mammy

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra Chinese New Year Celebration

National Concert Hall
Monday February 6th, 8pm
Accompanied by guests from China, RTÉ’s National Symphony Orchestra will perform traditional and folk pieces by China’s most renowned composers.

Chinese Tea Ceremony

National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin
Thursday February 9th, 2pm – 3.30pm & 3pm – 4.30pm
Free. Booking required.
Us Irish love tea, but the Chinese make a full-on occasion of it. Learn more about the sensory experience that is a Chinese Tea Ceremony, while enjoying a few cups of your fave brew.

Binge on Chinese food

Gong Hey Fat Choy: A Chinese Cookery Masterclass

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 17.32.01
Cooks Academy, South William St
Sunday, January 29th, 10am – 4pm
A full-day cookery masterclass with chef Kwanghi Chan, and award-winning American-Chinese food writer Mei Chin. You’ll learn to prepare some classic Chinese dishes with an Irish twist, like steamed fillet of Atlantic hake and veggie Lo Mein made with fresh local produce.

Asian Flavours Lazy Bike Tour

Temple Bar, Dublin City Centre and Chinatown area
Sunday January 29th, 2pm – 4pm
Explore Dublin by bike, check out some of the city’s best Asian restaurants (while enjoying free samples, obvs), and learn more about the fascinating history of Dublin’s Chinese community.

Hot Pot Night

Lao Restaurant, Parnell Sq West
Thursday February 2nd, 6.30pm – 8.30pm
€20 including food and a non-alcoholic drink
In China, grabbing a hot pot with friends is the best – and tastiest – way to catch up. If you’ve never dipped marinated chicken, meat or veggies and a steaming bowl of spicy broth to cook it in front of your eyes, you haven’t lived. Lao does one of the city’s best hot pots, and during this special event you’ll learn how to make your own, too.

For more details and event info, check out the Dublin Chinese New Year Festival website.