25 Things To Do Before Christmas: Make Sugar Cookies
Got the December issue? Well then, we've got that sugar cookie recipe right here for your December 23rd Advent goal.
So simple even a baking novice couldn’t mess ’em up, but impressive looking thanks to the sugar crystal deco topping that gives them a level of profesh (even though it’s super-simple to do), we’re definitely making these cute sugar cookies this Christmas – because basically, you just can’t have enough to nibble on, now can you? Nope.
- 1/2cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour, plus more for your work surface
- Coloured decorating sugar (optional)
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, for 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, then add the vanilla extract and salt.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Shape into a 1-inch-thick disk, wrap in clingfilm, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (this will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days).
- Heat oven to 180°C. On a floured surface, roll the dough ¼ inch thick. Using lightly floured 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters, cut the dough into festive shapes like stars and bells, flouring the cutters and re-rolling the scraps as necessary. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle each cookie with decorating sugar, if using.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the edges just begin to brown, for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Have your say