11 Tweets That Perfectly Sum Up Ireland’s Love/Hate Relationship With Coppers
Serving up 3am realness for 20 years.
Oh, Coppers, how we love to hate thee.
Ireland’s relationship with the Harcourt Street institution is definitely a tumultuous one. After all, it’s allowed us to have many a drunken dance-off to the strains of Cotton Eye Joe. But it’s also led to many a Sunday (or Friday) morning hangover.
The club celebrated its 20th birthday last night, and Twitter’s been reminding us exactly why its still going strong two decades on.
1. It’s always had a fairly… relaxed… dress code
Coppers – a place where you can be dressed to the nines one week and dressed in O’Neills the next. Happy birthday @CopperFaceJacks
— Lauren Guilfoyle (@GuilfoyleLauren) April 14, 2016
2. But you can still expect a grilling from the bouncers
Got asked for I.D. in coppers last night. Still got my youth
That or drunk
— Shauna McEvoy (@ShaunaMcEvoy1) April 5, 2015
3. We’d recommend wearing something that can take all kinds of spillage
As Coppers turns 20, let’s remember the time a man puked on my head. From the top floor. Over the bannister. I was in the basement.
— Louise Bruton (@luberachi) April 14, 2016
4. It’s stolen more jackets, handbags and phones from us than we care to remember
My journey in to coppers to retrieve my jacket is about ten times more difficult than Frodo and Sam’s journey to Mordor
— Peter Corcoran (@petercorcoran10) April 11, 2016
5. But we keep going back
I have an alarm on my phone for 7pm titled “get up for coppers” and I love myself for it #disconaps
— Claudia Jones (@Claudia_Jones) April 7, 2016
6. The pull of that queue at 2.30am is often irresistible
Walked by coppers with out going in #proud
— Eric 🙂 (@luigi_DORAN) January 6, 2015
7. Our mind is saying no, but our heart is saying YES
Coppers don’t tempt me pic.twitter.com/UXPDfWpvvM
— Nicole (@nicolemccarron_) April 11, 2016
8. That dancefloor holds a special place in our hearts
I went to coppers I’d say 6/7 times from July-December last year and I feel like I’ve grown so much since then it was a spiritual experience
— adam (@AdamSmullen) April 14, 2016
9. It’s lead to many a missed lecture/deadline/flight…
Just back from coppers and my flights in 3 hours!!
— Olwyn Murray (@OlwynMurray) April 13, 2015
10. Especially when there are no taxis to be had at 4.30am
Got a horse and carriage from coppers last night because rickshaws are for peasants
— Gráinne (@GrainneWard_) February 21, 2015
11. Never change, Coppers
— Jennifer Zamparelli (@JenniferMaguire) April 14, 2016
Have your say