Derry Girls Star Siobhán McSweeney Urges People To ‘Please Get Rid’ Of Cube Plugs As Her Apartment Is Destroyed In Fire

She recalled the terrifying experience on Twitter

Derry Girls star Siobhán McSweeney has shared a public plea for people to stop using cube plugs in their home, after losing everything in a devastating fire.

The actress who plays Sister Michael in the hilarious Channel 4 comedy based in Northern Ireland, shared the news on Twitter that her flat had been completely destroyed in a fire caused by a cube plug coming loose in her bedroom.

Thanfully, Siobhan was out at the time the fire started, and fire services were alerted before anyone was injured, but she has shared her devastation at losing everything – in what could have been a much worse situation!

“I’ve got some bad news,” Siobhán wrote. “Last night my flat went on fire. Thankfully I was out at a stupid play otherwise it could have been a worse story.

“The fire alarm alerted my neighbours and thankfully they’re all safe too.”

“2 fire brigades arrived, chopped down my new front door to discover the whole flat in acrid smoke and my bedroom so hot it had cracked the windows.”

“The fire investigator did a thorough examination. He finally took my aside and explained what happened. The cube double adaptor had fallen out slightly (less than 2mm) out of the socket by my bedside and had created an ‘electrical arc’ which sparked and started the fire.”

Siobhan went on to share the dangers of the household objects, and urged people to stop using them immediately.

“If anything good can come from this, it’s this. Please PLEASE get rid of them in your house,” she pleaded.
“I’ve called my brother and he had a few of them in his house. Now the bin. They are structured badly and it only takes a mm for there to be a spark.”

We’re glad Siobhan is OK!

Tags:

Have your say

More like this