With visits to the salon out of the question for the foreseeable future, plenty of us will be looking to at-home alternatives to keep our locks looking fresh. Yes, we might get away with wearing pyjama bottoms all day, but looking presentable from the waist up is still a concern for anyone faced with hours of back-to-back Zoom calls. Whether you need to refresh your roots, restore your colour vibrancy or try something completely different – Schwarzkopf LIVE Colour has you covered.
Offering a portfolio of permanent, semi-permanent and temporary shades, from banging brunettes to striking silver, whatever colour you feel reflects your personality and style – LIVE has a shade to match it.
So whether you’re taking the colour plunge for the first time, or you just need a helping hand, these tips from the experts at Schwarzkopf LIVE will make sure you avoid any colour conundrums.
- For an idea of how a colour might look on you, head to livecolour.com and use the Virtual Try-On tool, Choicify. This makes it simpler to choose a hair colour that’s right for your base colour and will deliver the colour you are looking for – love!
- An allergy test 48 hours before you colour is a must. You can also use a deep cleansing shampoo at this point – not essential, but it can help remove styling product build-up and other residues that may prevent the colour from taking as effectively to your hair!
- If you’re colouring for the first time, a semi-permanent colour is the best way to get started. The Schwarzkopf LIVE Pretty Pastel colours (€7.59 RRP) are designed to last 8 washes, depending on your individual hair history and type.
- Before you commit, ensure you’re happy with the colour you’ve chosen by doing a strand test. Find a section of hair roughly 1 cm wide at the back of your head and apply the colour as instructed. If you’re happy with the result, go for it!
- Get enough product! If you have hair that’s shoulder-length or longer, then it’s worth buying two boxes at a time – you can use what’s leftover to top up your roots!
- Dig out an old t-shirt and some skin barrier cream to use around your hairline, ears and neck – this will make cleaning up any splashes or spills much easier!
- Make sure your root game says strong! Depending on how fast your hair grows, you’ll need to do a root regrowth application roughly once every four weeks.
- Don’t colour too often! Refresh your roots, but only use permanent colours as often as recommended in the instruction leaflet. If you need an overall colour boost, semi-permanent colour options can be used in between permanent colourings.
- If your hair is very dry or in poor condition, do not apply the colour to the ends of your hair until the last 5 minutes of your development time. Otherwise this could result in a more intensive or lighter colour.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment! Perfect for anyone who wants to try a temporary colour that’ll disappear after one wash, the Precious Metals range includes four temporary shades- Starlight Silver, Golden Glimmer, Pink Shimmer and Purple Platinum. They also double as a body spray!
With Schwarzkopf LIVE Colour Ambassador Lyndell Mansfield
- Allergy Alert Test 48 hours before
- Deep cleansing shampoo 48 hours before (not essential, but can help!)
- Cover up
- Protect hands with gloves
- Apply to unwashed, dry hair
- Get your timer ready
- Open bottle
- Pierce colour cream and squeeze the lot in to the bottle
- Replace the cap
- Shake it up like a smoothie
- Twist off tip
You’re ready to apply
FIRST TIMERS– Never coloured before
- Get a good amount of colour on your roots first. Then work it through with your fingers until hair is evenly covered.
- 30 minutes on the clock.
DONE THIS BEFORE– need to touch up your roots or blend your colour?
- Use the nozzle of the bottle to part and section the hair to get right to the roots.
- ONLY apply colour to your roots at this stage. Keep enough colour in the bottle (about a third) for your ends.
- Set Timer for 20 minutes
- ..put your gloves back on and work the remaining mixture through your hair with your fingers.
- Leave for 10 minutes.
Get it off
- Wear gloves! Rinse with warm water while giving the hairline a good scrub.
- When water runs clear, apply conditioner and leave for 2 minutes before rinsing.
And you’re done!
Model Madeleine wears LIVE Colour Dusty Silver in Permanent
Available in store in selected Dunnes Stores
Have your say