Staying In 16th March 2023 by Megan Roantree
How To Make Comfortcore Your Core Vibe For 2023
STELLAR PROMOTION: Comfortcore is key this year
Our home has always been a place to relax, unwind and keep truly comfortable. Whether you’re renting or own a home, having a space that feels cosy is essential for everyone. So it’s probably no surprise that Wayfair, one of the world’s largest destinations for the home, unveiled “Comfortcore” as its key emerging lifestyle trend for 2023.
Between being stuck at home through lockdowns, our pivot to working from home and the cost of living crisis, we’ve all learned the importance of our home being a sanctuary for self-care, hosting friends and chilling out.
Taking these insights and emerging design trends as inspiration, Wayfair’s Resident Style Advisor, Nadia McCowan Hill, has curated five distinct looks that will be big this year.
“2023 is upon us and after more than two years of turbulence, we’re looking to our homes for comfort and reprieve,” she says. “At one end of the spectrum, it’s the little budget-busting accents in bold colours that are lifting our mood in Dopamine Dream, while at the other, we’re drawing moments of calm from whisper-soft tones and Curved Cocoon-like forms. Sepia Nostalgia is bathing the playroom in a honey glow and keeping little ones cosy.
“While for teens, it’s all about escape to a Cyber Retreat. Looking to bring the family together? Our Rooted at Home kitchen and dining look celebrates the simplicity of home-cooked food. Escaping for some me-time? Then Deep Sea Sanctuary offers inspiration on how to style every space easily and affordably, no matter how petite your powder room. Whichever look you love, remember: COMFORT will be key in 2023 and at Wayfair we have everything you need to bring your unique vision to life, whatever your space, style or budget.”
Ready to embrace comfortcore? Here are Wayfair’s top 5 tips:
1. Tactile textures: Ensure your living space is layered with plenty of soft, snug, comfy textures to create the feeling of a warm hug to welcome you home. Think teddy bear, boucle, cotton, chenille, linen, faux fur and velvet. A mix of textures will amp up the Comfortcore factor!
2. Are you sitting comfortably: Give existing dining chairs a comfy upgrade, with the simple addition of a cushioned seat pad for chairs or a dining bench. Available in a variety of colours, materials and patterns, it’s a cost-effective, easy way to bring stylish comfort to your dining space.
3. One-pot wonders: Food is so often at the heart of celebrations, bringing family and friends together to make memories over mealtimes. Having a cast-iron casserole dish in your cupboard provides you with the ultimate kitchen companion for all kinds of dishes, from stews to roasts, baked goods and more. Enabling you to serve from the oven straight to the table, it has comfort appeal at any time of the year – from warming casseroles to summer paella.
4. Nostalgic comfort: Part of making a house feel like a home is putting your own stamp on it, but this isn’t necessarily all about the style of décor, furniture or the accessories. Whether it’s putting race medals on display for achievements you’re proud of, your toddlers latest work of art in pride of place on the fridge, or filling frames with photos of loved ones or favourite places, these small but important touches can bring joy to a space and make it feel lived in and loved.
5. Mindful me-time: Make the most of time at home by slowing down and pressing pause, which will definitely be encouraged with Insta-favourite, a wooden bath caddy. Perfect for holding a drink along with your current favourite read, it’s the ideal pairing with a spa-like bubble bath to upgrade your me-time.
Find a wide range of furniture & decor for the home, for every budget at Wayfair.ie
Have your say