Maura Higgins Shares Experience With Toxic Shock Syndrome

Maura Higgins has opened up about her life-threatening experience with toxic shock syndrome.

The reality star revealed that she had a tampon stuck inside her for three months unbeknownst to her.

Toxic shock syndrome is quite rare, however, it can be a life-threatening condition as it causes bacteria to get into the body and release harmful toxins.

She confessed that she had a “very bad experience” with the syndrome and is hopeful of raising more awareness on the issue.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by MAURA HIGGINS (@maurahiggins)

Appearing on Shopping with Keith Lemon, she explained: “I did have a very bad experience. I’m not a doctor, I don’t know much about that it, but I know you are not meant to leave a tampon inside for more than, I think it’s nine hours, I think that’s the max.

“There was a tampon inside me for three months. When the doctor found it, it was stuck to my cervix. And I was so ill. I did not know what was going on. There were people that have died from that happening.”

She continued: “Young girls might not have noticed, like you go on a night out, what if you got really drunk and forgot, like, these things actually do happen, and people don’t speak about it.

Instagram/maurahiggins

“I remember even being in school, I used to get my tampon out the bag, push it up my sleeve and then go to the toilet like that… thinking back, why was I doing that? It’s nothing to be ashamed about, that’s why I think it’s an important topic isn’t it?”

It really is, and fair play to Maura for shining some light on it.

Written by Bronwyn O’Neill. 

Tags:

Have your say

More like this