R. Kelly Breaks Down In First Interview Since Being Charged With Sexual Abuse
"This is not me."
R. Kelly has given his first interview since being charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
The singer spoke to CBS News‘ Gayle King in an interview which is due to air today.
Clips of the interview were released yesterday, in which we can see Kelly say that the allegations that he has sexually, emotionally, and physically abused women and girls for decades are “stupid”, “not true”, and “not fair”.
“I didn’t do this stuff, this is not me, I’m fighting for my life,” the singer said, his voice cracking, appearing to be on the edge of tears.
Kelly also denied ever holding anyone against their will.
“I don’t need to. Why would I? How stupid would it be for R Kelly, with all I’ve been through in my way, way past, to hold somebody,” he asked.
“That’s stupid,” Kelly added, looking right into the camera.
— David Begnaud (@DavidBegnaud) March 6, 2019
Kelly at times suggested the allegations against him were absurd, appealing to viewer’s “common sense”, and at other times said it was unfair to constantly return to his history. He emphasised that he had been acquitted in one case already.
The CBS This Morning interview comes less than two weeks after Kelly was released on $100,000 bail after being charged with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse against four victims, three of whom were between the ages of 13 and 17 when their alleged attacks took place.
Have your say