4 Super Simple Mat Exercises For Lazy Ass People
It can be hard to get fit without a gym membership – here's how to get toned for free, without leaving your house.
Okay, let’s face it, some of us are less fit than others. Some of us read endless exercise tips and tricks, only to realise that we’ve no idea what a reverse plank is. Not all of us are lucky enough to have a gym membership, expensive gym gear, access to a treadmill or even hand weights.
If this sounds like you, don’t fret – we’ve got you covered. Here are four exercises that will show you fantastic results and you can do without even leaving your house. All you need is a mat (you could even get away with doing these in your PJs, we promise)!
1. Bicycle crunches
- Lie flat on your back with your fingers interlaced behind your head.
- Bring your knees in towards your chest and lift your shoulder blades off the mat.
- Straighten your right leg to about a 45-degree angle while turning your upper body to the left, then bring your right elbow over to touch your right knee. Make sure you’re moving your rib cage, and not just your elbows.
- Now switch sides and do the same slow and controlled motion. Do 10 to 20 reps and voila! A full core workout.
2. Single leg bridge lift
- Lie on your back and place your hands on the floor for stability as you bend one leg and lift the other leg off the ground.
- Lift your pelvis up, keeping your body in a stiff bridge position (your hips are elevated, shoulders to are to the floor and back is straight).
- Slowly lower your body to the floor and repeat. Switching legs, lift and lower 10 to 15 times.
3. Pilates side-lying leg lift
- Lie on your side, lengthen your bottom leg and cross your top leg over it. Rest your knee on the floor.
- Prop your head up with your hand.
- As you exhale, lift your bottom leg up and inhale as you lower it back down. Your torso should stay still while you do this.
- Do as many reps on one side for 30 seconds and then repeat on the other side for an additional 30 seconds.
4. Scissor abs
- Lie flat on your back with your arms at your sides, palms pressing into the floor.
- Bring both legs straight up toward the ceiling, engaging your abs and pressing your lower back into the ground.
- Keeping abs pulled in, lower back on the ground, slowly lower your left leg until it’s a few inches above the floor, then scissor your legs, lifting your right leg up. This completes one rep.
- Do 15 to 20 reps.
Have your say