9 Irish People Who Were In A Right State Watching The Olympic Rowing Today
Couldn't hold back the tears.
Team Ireland had major success at the Rio Olympics today, thanks to West Cork brothers Gary and Paul O’Donovan, who came second in their Men’s Lightweight Double Sculls final.
Their silver medal marks our first podium placing at Rio 2016, and our first EVER medal for Olympic Rowing.
It made for emotional viewing, and Twitter was awash with Irish viewers bursting with national pride and general sports excitement.
Here are a few of the folks who couldn’t contain their joy today…
1. RTÉ sports pundit and former Olympic rower Neville Maxwell got teary-eyed live on air during the post-race discussion
And then we all got teary-eyed watching him get teary-eyed.
— Aodhán Ó Ríordáin (@AodhanORiordain) August 12, 2016
Can’t deal with the passion from Neville Maxwell on RTE I’m an emotional wreck
— Kath O’Marcaigh (@Omarcaigh) August 12, 2016
2. This Irish mammy had a dose of sports emotion too
Well done to the O’Donovan brothers on your silver win! You made my mother cry with Irish pride! #PullLikeADog
— Ireland / Treasa (@ireland) August 12, 2016
3. And things got a bit mad in this Irish house
*10 minutes ago- knew NOTHING about rowing*
*10 min later- house being screamed down followed by critical analysis of race*#PullLikeADog
— Emma Nolan (@EmmaNolan13) August 12, 2016
4. We bloody love them too, Elaine. We bloody love them too. *sobs with joy*
Ah jaysus. Neville crying in studio. The video of their supporters in Skibbereen. It’s all TOO MUCH Bloody love those O’Donovans! #Rowing
— Elaine Buckley (@ElaineBucko) August 12, 2016
5. This lad was inspired to get rowing himself… kinda
— Na Fianna (@nafiannamusic) August 12, 2016
6. Even Graham Norton got in on the excitement
And how could he not? His hometown of Bandon’s only down the road from Skibbereen.
— graham norton (@grahnort) August 12, 2016
7. Speaking of Skibbereen, there were exciting scenes at the local SuperValu
8. And the Credit Union just shut up shop altogether
“Your car loan application can wait, Sheila.”
9. But the proudest Skibbereen resident of them all? Gary and Paul’s mammy, obvs.
— Paul O’Flynn (@OFlynnPaul) August 12, 2016
Have your say