It's been a bit of mad week for the Markles.
After a week of conflicting reports, Meghan Markle has confirmed that her dad Thomas Markle will not be attending her royal wedding on Saturday.
In a statement released by Kensington Palace, Meghan said that her father would not be walking her down the aisle after all:
Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding. I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health. I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support.
“Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday,” the statement concluded.
A statement from Ms. Meghan Markle: pic.twitter.com/TjBNarmuBU
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) May 17, 2018
Earlier this week, Markle was reported to have suffered a heart attack – he informed TMZ that he had had heart surgery, and is still in hospital recuperating.
Speculation over whether he’d attend the wedding or not started with the revelation that paparazzi shots of Markle reading up on British history were staged. The Daily Mirror reported that he received around $100,000 (€83,000) for the shots – Meghan’s half-sister Samantha took the blame for this, saying she advised her dad to get some ‘positive’ press.
Thomas Markle tells TMZ he cannot attend royal wedding due to heart surgery: Thomas Markle will not attend Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding, according to US celebrity news site TMZ, which quotes him as saying that a heart procedure scheduled for… https://t.co/DiqqEmxLnK pic.twitter.com/tBENALG4Ve
— Jobs in Phoenix (@phoenix_HR) May 16, 2018
Markle then told TMZ that he was no longer attending the wedding as he didn’t want to embarrass his daughter or the Royal family any further.
Nice bit of stress to have ahead of getting married in front of the world, isn’t it? Hopefully it will be plain sailing for Meghan and Harry from now until Saturday.
Get the latest news, hottest trends & biggest competitions to your inbox.